contact us  |  sitemap

When a cat needs help

Please note that by listing specific websites, The Cat Group is not responsible for any information or advice given or acted upon.

How can I find a new home for my cat?

Contact one of the rescue organisations:

Blue Cross 01993 822651
RSPCA 08703 335999
Cats Protection 03000 12 12 12
or a local rescue society (contact numbers should be in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages)

If your cat is a pedigree, try to contact the breeder first - good breeders will be prepared to take the cat back or help to find a new home. If you cannot contact the breeder, contact the welfare officer for the appropriate breed club or your local area club: the Cat Welfare Rescue Directory on the GCCF web site has a list of contact numbers and e-mail addresses.

There is a stray cat in my garden – what should I do?

Check with your neighbours to ensure that the cat does not belong to them - they may recently have moved into the area.

If the cat is clearly well cared for, put an ad in the local shops, newspapers and veterinary surgery in case it has simply wandered away from home.

If you cannot trace the owner, or the cat appears unwell or feral, contact the local RSPCA office whose number will be in the 'phone book or Cats Protection (Head Office - 08702 099 099).

Don't feed the cat or invite it into your home unless you want to keep it.

I think a cat is being treated cruelly – what should I do?

If you think any animal is being treated cruelly you should report it to the RSPCA on 0870 5555 999 (24 hour answerphone).

All reports are treated in confidence and investigated by an RSPCA inspector.

Where can I get help with the cost of veterinary care?

PDSA - 0800 731 2502 (freephone)
Whitechapel Way, Priorslee, Telford, Shropshire TF2 9PQ Tel: 01952 290999

Blue Cross - 01993 822651
Shilton Road, Burford, Oxon OX18 4PF

RSPCA - Many RSPCA branches run a voucher scheme to assist people who cannot afford the full cost of veterinary treatment for their animal. Your local contact number can be obtained from the Enquiries line on 0870 3335 999.

How do I find help to deal with a feral cat or a group of feral cats?

Contact either:

Cat Action Trust 01279 757184
Website: e-mail:

or Cats Protection 08702 099 099
Website: e-mail:

Helping cats abroad

World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA) -
WSPA works with more than 400 member organisations to raise the standards of animal welfare throughout the world.

SNIP International, 5 Basire Street, London N1 8PN.
The charity aims to relieve the distress and suffering of stray and feral animals outside the UK, particularly through sterilisation.

©The Cat Group This site and its graphics are copyrighted. All rights reserved